Saturday, March 21, 2015

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Buenos diás, 
     We only had about 24 hours in Barcelona, so not enough time to see a lot but only to scratch the surface. This morning we decided to take a free walking tour. These tours are popping up all over the place, but the tour guide take you around and at the end, you tip them an amount you feel comfortable with. Our guide picked us up from our hostel and we went around to other hostels to pick up other people. I have never seen so many hostels in such a small area. Apparently Barcelona saw a huge bump in tourism after the 1992 Olympics.  According to the tour guide, it put Barcelona back on the map.
    We walked around the Old City. It is true to its name as it is the older part of the city with narrow pedestrian streets. It wasn't until after the Spanish Civil War that the New City was built. We walked up La Rambla, which is a major street for shopping. It also has the major market, La Boqueria. This is a huge open air market where you can get food ingredients,  spices, crafts, or find restaurants.  It is definately a place I wanted to explore, but we didn't have time. Our tour was 2 hours and I felt that it help us scratch the surface of Barcelona. I definately want to come back to explore more!
   We headed to the airport and had lunch before our flight to Oslo, the final leg of our teip. Or flight was 3.5 hours. When we finally landed,  we took the train to our hotel, ordered pizza, and called it a night. 

La Rambla. The major shopping street of the old city. 
The public drinking fountain
La Boqueria,  the open market. The next time I come to Barcelona,  I want to go through it!
In the old city, these plaques are given to businesses that have been open at least 50 years. 
The school of architecture with a painting from Pablo Picasso. 
The very narrow and quaint streets of the old town.
This is a statue by the water in honor of the great artists if Barcelona, including Gaudí, Dahli, and Picasso.  

No comments:

Post a Comment